03 May 2013

In-progress Friday

I finished reading Without a Summer, so expect a review of that on Monday. I'm still reading Ghosts of Berlin.

I'm going to see Iron Man 3 tonight. I may have thoughts on it for next Monday, or I may not. We'll see. I'm not a film reviewer per se; I just have opinions.

Still working on a novel that wants to be a novella. I'm going to have to add a lot of padding to this thing.

On that subject, a question for discussion: When you're reading speculative fiction, how realistic or plausible do you want your explanations of how things work? Do you want the writer to have done the math and worked out the physics problems, or are you happy with a bit of handwavium thrown in? Does any of that matter as long as it's consistent within the rules set up by the author that govern the world (magic, superpowers, FTL travel, etc)?

No comments: