23 January 2010

Breaking silence

So, since 6 Jan, I've been working 30 hours a week at a place 45 minutes each way. It's cut into my writing time, and because I work 1-7, it's cut into my evening time as well. (Get home 7:45, eat dinner, get caught up on email, and hey it's 9:30.)

I'm currently re-reading CJ Cherryh's Faded Sun trilogy and am so close to the end I just want to sit down and plow through it. I get frustrated when I can only read a chapter or two at a time. (And I read fairly quickly, too -- 50-60+ pages an hour, depending on density. Harry Potter's more like 100.) I love this trilogy, and while I remembered mostly what happened in Kesrith and Shon'jir, as I read Kutath, much of it is like new. I don't know why. I read it quite some time ago, though. (Annoyingly, the omnibus reprint has a ton of typos.)

I've been trying to keep up my writing, and it's hard. By the time I've skimmed, scanned, or read my RSS feed and gotten my needful things done, it's 10:45, and I have less than an hour to write, before I have to eat lunch & drive 45 minutes. It's frustrating to, at 11:35, be hitting a groove, when I have to quit writing at 11:40 or 11:45. My current assignment ends the 29th, so I'll get my time back after that. (Unless they want me to stay on until they hire a full time person, though I'm torn on that. I really want my writing time back, but I like getting paid.)

No comments: