20 January 2009

President Barack Obama.

For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth; and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace.

Oh, I hope so.

I want to shake off the feeling of dread the last eight years have given me, and be proud, or at least not embarrassed, that I am American. Dear Mr. President, please be the change we believed you could.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Amen. Actually I already feel less afraid on a daily basis, now that fear is no longer the national power currency.

CD Covington said...

Now I'm worried Obama's gonna cave and prove that compromise is still defined as "doing it the Republican way." But that's a minor worry in comparison to, say, wondering if the TSA is going to strip search me in the airport.